I need to apologize. Although I was very excited to finish my shopping guide today, fate intervened and I'm now at the University of Kansas Medical Center while my brother undergoes skin-graft surgery for third-degree burns to his chest. A few nights ago he was warming something on the stove when his tie caught on fire. The fire immediately moved all the way up to his neck and set his shirt aflame. Somehow, and I'm not sure how it was even possible, he managed to get free of his clothes and save his own life -- and probably the lives of his daughters, who were asleep upstairs at the time and might not have awakened until the house was on fire.
Now, I'm going to assume you think this a decent excuse not to have a decent post for you today, but if you don't, you may register your complaint by unsubscribing to my to my humble blog. At which point I will promptly begin cursing you for being ONE HEARTLESS BASTARD.
Seriously, I hope you all are having a great Monday, and that you and yours are safe and sound. One thing I've learned from all this is how grateful I am to be living in my own skin. We as a society complain an awful lot about what we see when we look in the mirror -- freckles, birthmarks, acne, age spots, sags, wrinkles, you name it -- but those complaints seem so petty after just a couple of days in a burn unit. Skin is truly an amazing organ, and we owe it so much more than our constant criticism.
Oh, and my brother would like me to add one more thing: Don't cook with your tie on.